Aug 16, 2008

Taking Credit and My 2 cents on dee controverseeeee, mmmmmuch

What is the purpose of dee blooooooog? Share? Document and record Tripod+1 adventures? Spell out Tripod lingo?, which, btw, is 1 of the most satisfying things ever -- when you perfectly and successfully spell out a Tripod word for the first time (which happens 99% of the time in an email). It takes patience and hard work but when you get it just right, it's fucking rewarding. Like when I spelled "pyyyaaaaaaaaanties" out for the first time. You have to have just the right # of y's and just the right # of a's, otherwise, you fuck it up and in a way, disrespect the lingo by not putting forth max effort...but I digress. One of the purposes of the dee blog is to take credit. That's right! Take credit. I'm taking credit for introducing dee (insert monosyllabic word with "eeeeeeee" sound). Back when it was still Tripod (without the +1) the Tripod came down to LA to celebrate my bday with me. The next morning, after the festivities, while standing outside this brunch place, I asked Ian if he had shared dee (insert monosyllabic word with "eeeeeeee" sound) with our Taiwanese comrades. He said no and explained that in his opinion, they weren't "ready" for that yet. I disagreed, ignored his warning and "shared" it with them anyway: "Ok, so check it out... any time there's a short 'i' sound, you change it to 'eeeeeeeeeeeee.' So like, bridge, becomes 'deee breeeeeeeeedge,' and Merlin becomes "Merleeeeeeeeeeeeen." And it, as I expected, caught on. So I'm taking credit here for taking the risk. It was ME. RUFIE. It could have crashed and burned (much like when I told the waaaiiit, waaaiiit joke to Peko and Friends that one time at Pacifica beach). But I "threw a dart at the board" and in this instance, cashed out big time.

Now my two cents (mmmuch) on the dee controverseeee. I'm of the opinion that we should air on the side of caution. We have to be careful and make sure that this evolves (or devolves, depending on how you see it) the right way. If we're able to say deee anything, then the words lose their distinction. I'm down with dee "non eeeeeeeee" monosyllabic words, like dee blooooog, or dee poooooooooose." But polysyllabic usage is a slippOry slope. For example, dee next bloooooooooock should just be thrown out. That's just disgusting. Like I said on the chat btwn me and Dai: Flagrant + 7 freethrows + 3 consecutive possessions. But I'm not completely against polysyllabic; it's not black & white. For example Dee funneeeel is damn funny. Can't pinpoint why, but it works. So what we have to do is set up criteria of when it's OK and not OK. Gotta set some ground rules, son! If there are no ground rules, then the language has no structure and you can't share and spread the lingo. For example, how would I have been able to share dee breeeedge if there were no basic ground rules. I would've had to say: "So you say 'deee whatever.' Get it? Just say 'dee' before any noun." And THAT would NOT have caught on. So you have got to have rules, just like any other language. BlogGING BlogGOR. Mehehe.

2 comments:

Morbidsheep said...

DBD asked me to leave a comment... this is MORONIC!!

quicklymilktea said...

HAHAHA great post, Rufie. I was talking to Yugi today and we kinda figured out. A polysyllabic use of deeeee is acceptable so long as the noun that follows is FUNNY.

Now it's hard to define what makes a word funny and what makes it non-funny, but i think we can agree that "funnnellll" is a funny work, as is "smack dab". "Next block," bit NOT funny. "Early," I must admit, is not funny. Deeee hummmuuuuuuus...funny.